The lovely village of Panni owes its name to Pan, God of the woods, also present in the coat of arms of the village.
Its origins are very ancient, dating back to the early times when the valley at its foot was already a place of obligatory passage between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian Sea. The Monte Sario on which the village stands was already inhabited in Roman times, although the oldest written testimony of the existence of a town dates back to 1118.
Very pleasant is the walk that from the most recent part of the village goes up to its historic core and shows us small churches, rural houses and beautiful portals decorated with engravings of curious figures such as griffins and Baphomet.
Among the most interesting buildings are the Baroque Church of Calvary, the Church of Purgatory and the Mother Church of Mary SS. Assunta, with the splendid marble statue of the Madonna di Loreto; the beautiful Palazzo Manuppelli.
Reached the highest part of the town we find the promenade-belvedere, called 'Castle', because on top of it on a rocky spur stand the remains of a sixteenth-century Spanish watchtower, probably built on the remains of a pre-existing Roman fortress. Not far from the town, nature reigns supreme; among the countryside and oaks, there are elegant fountains and the Sanctuary of Santa Maria del Bosco.