In 1270 Charles of Anjou, then King of Naples, had one of his residences inside the Castle, where he decided to set up a chapel dedicated to Saint Agatha. He specially frescoed the small room and placed three artistic otters, now lost.
For centuries, on the fifth of February of each year, Sant'Agata di Puglia celebrates the feast in honor of the Saint, protector and patron saint of the country. Until the early nineteenth century the feast was celebrated inside the chapel of the castle at the expense of the lords of the city, which only for this occasion, allowed access to the Castle to the people to venerate and celebrate the Saint.
In 1813 the statue was donated, by the will of the marquis Loffredo, to the church matrix of Saint Nicholas and the expenses of the organization of the patronal feast passed to the people.
Tradition has it that even today the women of the country prepare for the feast small pans azimi shaped breasts, in memory of the martyrdom of Saint Agatha, which are donated door to door by girls dressed in the tunic of the Saint, called Agatine.