The present church stands on a previous building of the seventeenth century, which was demolished due to structural collapse. The reconstruction project was entrusted to the architects Anselmo Gasparri and Federico De Nunzio and reconstruction began in 1850.
The façade alternates the warm ochre of the masonry with the whiteness of the stone of the decorative elements such as the entrance portal and the pilasters. On the left side stands a sober bell tower. The church has a Latin cross structure with three naves and the central apse flanked by two quadrangular bodies.The interior preserves interesting works: the central vault is decorated with a large canvas of the Neapolitan school; the left transept houses the altar of Saint Joseph, the Chapel of the Crucifixion, with the painting of the Pietà painted in 1584 by Giovanni Orazio De Luca and the baptismal font; the central dome is adorned with paintings by Filippo Pirro depicting the 4 evangelists; the right transept houses the altar of San Donato, protector of Biccari and the chapel of Our Lady of Constantinople. In the Succorpo Chapel is set up the Diocesan Ecclesiastical Museum, which collects objects and goods from ancient churches that have disappeared. Here there is an imposing postergale of the altar of San Michele made and indoors by craftsmen biccaresi in 1660.