The popular tradition tells that the village was founded by some Calabrian exiles who, fleeing from the Saracen raids, took refuge in the cavity of a majestic secular tree, a tree. From here the name Alva-Rona was born, then Alberona.
Centuries of history have determined the fate of Alberona: Saracen woodshed by permission of Frederick II in 1220, recognized fief of the Templars, became the home of the Knights of Malta from 1307 to 1809.
The old town is characterized by a tangle of strascionele, alleys with cobblestone pavement of river and brick, the white whiteness of the houses, the many fountains and historical arches, beyond which unexpected belvederi give dreamy atmospheres, created by the surrounding lush nature, dotted with fresh streams and dense oak woods.
To further embellish the village numerous historical buildings, such as the Church of San Rocco, the Tower of the Grand Prior and the Priory Church, which houses precious relics such as the bones of San Vitale and an ampollina with his blood.
The historical and natural riches of the village have made Alberona the awards "Most beautiful villages of Italy" and "Orange Flag" of the Touring Club.